Friday, October 15, 2004

Me and the Broccoli - A Shameful Moment?

I was just eating lunch at my desk at work. I have a bit (as you have read in the past) an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder, for those of you who don't indulge in self-diagnoses) so I almost ALWAYS order Buddhist Delight from the same Chinese restaurant every Friday. The best part of the Buddhist Delight really is the broccoli. When I'm not at work, I order broccoli and bean curd (extra spicy, no MSG) -- just to give an idea of how I feel about broccoli in Chinese food (and to give you an idea of the extent of my neurosis).

Today, I was eating and reading up on advanced directives so I can call a client and walk her through one. And I realized I had one piece of broccoli left so I decided to REALLY ENJOY it ... I thought about how good it was while I was eating it and I got lost somewhere in a world that I only go when I am very hungry and I see a pizza commercial on TV and I launch into a dramatic self-composed "I Like Pizza!" song. It is like the world between worlds in the Chronicles of Narnia -- a wooded area where you start to forget where you came from and where you are going and just kind of slip away. (But it was really brief, for those of you who think I have an eating disorder.)

Well, my boss walked in. I felt like I had been caught in the "act" like the Seinfeld episode when George's mother catches him "treating himself like an amusement park."

And therein lies my shameful moment with broccoli. I don't think my relationship with it will ever be the same.
(To give the art-source credit.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Broccoli? I hate that stuff...

-President Bush Sr.

Anonymous said...

I have a sister who has OCD. It's quite interesting. Strangely enough, it seems to run in the family, along with brittle bones, Social Anxiety Disorder, and bad nasal passages. Wonderful, isn't it?

My sister's OCD doesn't involve a routine in her daily schedule, but involves sacrilegious rituals she carries out; like, when she thinks or touches a bad grade, or some object that has touched the bad grade, she immediately sets the water temperature to its hottest, then counts the seconds as she washes her hands. Her OCD's not that bad anymore, though. That's a relief.

Sadly I still don't really know the difference between OCD and having a phobia.

Mary said...

Anonymous, OCD and social anxiety run in my family too. Although I have never been diagnosed with either. Oddly enough, the relative I know who had (passed away) OCD had a hand-washing element to it too. Hmmm.